17 August 2005

Cartoonists: The art of Pryor



I think Geoff Pryor in the Canberra Times is one of the two or three best political cartoonists in this country, and would be among the best in the world.

We tend to think of cartoons as light hearted and disposable, and it would be very rare to hear one of our professional opinionists admit that their political view of some issue had been influenced or even changed by a cartoon. Particularly over the last decade when the media has been generally lazy and complacent in this country, cartoonists like Ron Tanberg, Cathy Wilcox and Bill Leak, have been consistently incisive and challenging.

I look forward to the day when they have an episode of the Insiders on the ABC with a panel consisting entirely of cartoonists.

If you have a favourite cartoonist, please send me their name and say why you think they're so good.

4 comments:

I am the Queen of EVERYTHNG...OK!! said...

Luenig as a socail/politcal satirist..but his wife, Mary as a feminist satirist..even seen her work?

Crritic! said...

Yes, you're quite right, though is Mary his sister?

Anyway, I've seen a couple of her books in the past and she's razor-sharp. Really brutal sometimes, especially about relationships, but sometimes tender as well. I haven't seen any published for quite a while, though she maybe be interstate?

Unknown said...

Pryor looks like quite an old-style cartoonist. And as for others - I wouldn't say he's brilliant, but Mark Knight does have his moments.

I am the Queen of EVERYTHNG...OK!! said...

UTL my copies of her books right now (still boxed up somewheeere) but sure they are married and live in Daylesford area. No matter, will crop up when i least expect to find it