28 April 2006

Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before

I woke up this morning with the glorious song 'Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before' by The Smiths floating round in my head. My consciousness settled on the lines:

Nothing's changed - I still love you,
Oh, I still love you
Only slightly - only slightly less
Than I used to.

Which has got to be one of the most withering put-downs in all popular music.

The title, I've always thought, is a witty rejoiner to those who claimed all Smiths songs sounded the same.

It also contains the lines:

I was delayed, I was way-laid.
An emergency stop - I smelt the last ten seconds of life,
I crashed down on the crossbar.
And the pain was enough to make a shy, bald, buddhist reflect
And plan a mass murder.
Who said I'd lied to her ?

Oh, who said I'd lied because I never? I never!
Who said I'd lied because I never?

Morrissey, here's to you.

No comments: