22 September 2005

Acoustic heaven 1

Blogger seems to have dropped its bundle when it comes to posting photos. I've got a couple of postings cooling their heels in limbo until it sorts itself out, so in the meantime, I thought I'd attempt a quickie that doesn't require any pictures.

A year or two ago, a friend gave me a commercially available compilation CD called "Acoustic". It turns out there are a whole series of these. I hope I'm not offending anybody when I say that I thought they were dreadfully boring, extremely safe, and just not worth the money at all. Some of the selections were downright weird (strange sonic jumps in the track order), and a few weren't even acoustic (like Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah"). I was annoyed because, being a guitarist myself who loves acoustic instruments, I thought the whole thing was just embarrassing and sold the music short. Quicker than you can say "I can do that!" I decided to do my own. In fact I did a few of them.

For want of anything better to do, I thought I'd post the track list here. The first one is mostly older stuff. I thought of it as singer-songwritery. Later, I put down more recent, more Australian sounds. It's also quite bluesy. Thanks to iTunes, it's also possible to very precisely modulate the mood from song to song, so it's smooth, but there are enough surprises to keep you interested.

1. Blister in the Sun - Violent Femmes
2. Going Mobile - The Who
3. Carey - Joni Mitchell
4. Desolation Row - Chris Smither
5. That’s Entertainment - The Jam
6. Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want - The Smiths
7. Shelter From the Storm - Bob Dylan
8. Paris, Texas - Ry Cooder
9. Down To Zero - Joan Armatrading
10. Redemption Song - Bob Marley
11. Ruby Tuesday - Melanie
12. The Way Young Lovers Do - Van Morrison
13. Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel
14. Peace Piece - John McLaughlan
15. Peace Like a River - Paul Simon
16. Corrina, Corrina - Bob Dylan
17. Blackbird - The Beatles
18. Train Home - Chris Smither
19. All Along the Watchtower - Bob Dylan
20. Lull It By - Greg Brown
21. Hard Time Killing Floor - Buddy Guy

No comments: